Diverse Minds. Unlimited Solutions.
The Inclusive Excellence (IE) Business Case Competition connects diverse students and selects companies committed to inclusive excellence. As one of the country’s few business case competitions surrounding diversity, the IE Business Case Competition allows students to apply critical thinking and knowledge about diversity to real-world problems facing the participating companies.
Daniels will hold the eighth annual IE Business Case Competition on April 21, 2017.
Registration opening soon!
IE Business Case Competition Schedule of Events
February 14—Information Session
February 29—Team Applications Due
April—Case presented, team training and site visit
April 21—Case Competition
Student Participation & Registration
Participating teams of four to six students must meet the following requirements:
- Be mixed gender
- Represent at least two countries
- Be comprised of both undergraduate and graduate students
- Include at least one student from a program outside of Daniels (e.g. Korbel, Sturm, GSSW, etc.)
Teams are challenged to put together the most diverse team and define their criteria for diversity.
Students will receive a business case problem focusing on inclusive excellence and business. The case is designed by the participating company.
Teams should consider the following broad guidelines when presenting their case:
- Presentations should be professional and follow business standards (business dress, language, etc.).
- Consider distinctive viewpoints, such as the community, management, employees, financials and shareholders, etc.
- Convey a comprehensive understanding of the case including: key issues, possible impacts and future government regulations.
- Provide a strategic decision analysis including a financial analysis, if applicable.
- Present a clear resolution and demonstrate proactive management processes.
- Demonstrate creativity.
- Bring awareness and attention to inclusive excellence.
Daniels invites companies to engage in the following ways
- Sponsorship Opportunities:
- Presenting Case Sponsor—$10,000
- Reception Sponsor—$5,000
- Student Engagement, Recruitment & Training Sponsor—$2,500
- Presenting Case Sponsor: Competing companies will write a business case problem about a real-time issue at their company and will also participate in the planning of the event. They will have up to eight student teams who will provide solutions for the company’s concern. Employer resource groups or similar groups within the company provide information and mentoring to their selected teams. Competing companies will be responsible for providing up to two judges for the competition.
- Judge: An executive from a company will judge the teams with a panel that will decide the winner of the IE Business Case Competition.
- Presentation Coach: Engage with student teams prior to presentation day, mentoring around presentation format and skills in order to ensure the students present the required material to their fullest potential.
To learn more about engagement opportunities for upcoming and future IE Business Case Competitions, contact Kate Dillon or 303.871.2444.
The competition has three main goals:
- Engage in thought leadership and development between business and education
- Recognize corporate partners who are innovators in the area of inclusion
- Fundraising for inclusive excellence scholarships and activities
Benefits to students include:
- The opportunity to tackle a current issue around inclusive excellence, which is a strategic imperative for a participating company
- Résumés of selected team members are presented to the participating companies for internship and job consideration
- Team members gain exclusive access to select executives from the participating companies
- First place: $6,000
- Second place: $4,000
- Third place: $2,000
Prizes are based on per team
2016 IE Business Case Competition Sponsor
2015 Participating Companies
- Charles Schwab
- Kaiser Permanente
- Century Link
- InnoVision International
Congratulations to the 2015 Case Competition Winners
- Addis Sisay
- Crystal Murillo
- Kevin Rusk
- Christina Hunter
- Xiaoyi Zhu
To Sponsor, Participate or For More Information Contact:
Kate Dillon, Director, External Relations, 303.871.2444