Master of Science in Applied Quantitative Finance
Spring quarter (March)
As little as 10 months
Or design your own concentration
Master’s in Applied Quantitative Finance, 2022
I chose Daniels because of the small class size and strong curriculum within the MS Applied Quantitative Finance. Additionally, the great networking opportunities to meet professionals and different student organizations and extracurricular activities really interested me during the admissions process.
Master of Science in Applied Quantitative Finance Tuition
Base tuition (2023-2024): $72,540† Typical scholarship range (% of tuition): 10-65%*
† Up to 12 additional credits of prerequisites may be required, at a cost of $1,612 per credit. Students may have prerequisite requirements waived based on previous coursework or by passing waiver exams.
* Scholarships are based on academic record, testing and employment credentials, and are not guaranteed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-871-3416 for more information.
Finance Master’s Curriculum
The MS in Applied Quantitative Finance (MSAQF) from the Reiman School of Finance combines the in-depth study of finance theories and principles with advanced technologies, communication and teamwork, with a strong focus on ethics and values.
You’ll develop financial models with integrated classroom experience and apply your newly learned skills immediately. You’ll get hands-on experience managing real money in our Marsico Investment Center, and take learning trips to the financial capitals of the world, such as New York, London and Brussels.
Most importantly, we will challenge you to think, not memorize. We believe in learning by doing, practicing and perfecting.
Business Finance Track
This track prepares you for a career in corporate finance, financial planning and analysis, treasury management, nonprofit finance, and related fields.
Students have interned or taken full-time jobs at: Toyota Motor North America, Oakwood Homes, SomaLogic, Sandia National Laboratories, Deloitte, Ball Corporation, Frontier Airlines.
Financial Institutions Track
This track prepares you for a career investment banking, commercial banking, venture capital, private equity, insurance and related fields.
Students have interned or taken full-time jobs at: SDR Ventures, CoBank, FMI Corporation, FirstBank, Capstone Partners, Stifel, Strategic Finance, Architect Partners.
This track prepares you for a career in asset and portfolio management, hedge funds, start-up capital firms, nonprofit foundations, and related fields.
Students have interned or taken full-time jobs at: BaseRock Partners, Gravity Investments, The Ryan Foundation, Tudor Pickering, Standard Dao, Longs Peak Advisory Services, IPS Strategic Capital.
Wealth Management Track
This track prepares you for a career in fields such as wealth management, asset management, financial advising, consultancy and family offices.
Students have interned or taken full-time jobs at: Merrill Lynch, The Colony Group, Charles Schwab.
Courses and Electives
The MSAQF program is a STEM-designated 45- to 57-credit* degree that can be completed in as little as 10 months by full-time students subject to prerequisites and course load. You also have the option of earning your degree part-time, day or evening.
The degree plan includes courses in finance and business analytics and 16 elective credits toward your specialization or concentration.
*While many universities are on the semester system, where each class is typically 3 credits and 15 weeks long, Daniels is on the quarter system, so our classes are 4 credits and 10 weeks long. The 45–57 total credits for this program are equivalent to 30–38 credits at a semester-based college.
As an MSAQF student you will:
- Build your resume with a complimentary subscription to S&P Capital IQ.
- Get hands-on equity asset management skills by managing a portion of the University’s endowment fund in our Marsico Fund course.
- Use options to create hedging and return enhancement strategies in our Derivative Funds class.
- Develop financial models for the investment banking industry using the most sophisticated information, analysis, databases and simulation software available.
- Take advantage of highly customizable tracks in business finance, financial institutions, investments and wealth management or design your own track to fit your specific career goals.
Elevate Your Career
The MSAQF is a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)-designated program according to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). With this designation, F-1 international students can apply for an OPT visa extension.
The program is also a member of the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program. This status is granted to institutions whose degree program incorporates at least 70 percent of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK), which provides students with a solid grounding in the CBOK and positions them well to sit for the CFA exams. As a member of the program, we sponsor students for CFA exam scholarships each year.
Learning at Daniels encourages you to get out of the classroom and into the field interacting with business leaders, solving real business problems and using your business skills when the stakes are real. You’ll emerge from Daniels business sharp, field tested and ready to lead—adaptable to new situations and well-versed in both big-picture strategic thinking and cross-functional intricacies.
GAIN REAL–WORLD EXPERIENCE
At Daniels, our deep connections around the world create ample opportunities for you to meet and learn from the top professionals in your industry of interest.
- Finance Capital of the World: This course provides the opportunity to learn and reinforce financial concepts, tools, methodologies and practices that are used in the European financial markets. After preparatory sessions and assignments in Denver, students will spend time in London visiting and learning from investment bankers, asset managers and risk managers. All this will be studied in the context of understanding how geopolitical risk impacts financial decision-making and how the decisions made in Brussels affect all of the EU countries and markets. Students will also spend a week in New York visiting a variety of financial firms to learn from employees who work in these fields.
- Reiman Finance Club: This group allows students to directly engage the professional finance world through speakers, networking and workshops, with the end job of finding their ideal job. The club matches current students with alumni across the country for monthly conversations about the industry and possible career pathways. Weekly newsletters inform students of events and networking opportunities on campus as well as internship and full-time positions in the financial industry.
- Executive and Alumni Mentoring: Gain insight from an executive and/or alumni mentor in your field of interest.
COMPETE AGAINST THE BEST
Case competitions provide you with a chance to showcase your critical-thinking, problem-solving and presentation skills—experiencing firsthand the challenges of the business world.
- Race & Case: Daniels’ signature event that combines an ethics case competition with a ski race.
- Inclusive Excellence Business Case Competition: Daniels is proud to host one of the country’s few business case competitions focused on diversity. Students tackle a current issue around inclusive excellence, which is a strategic imperative for a participating company.
- Cable Apprentice Challenge: This is a unique combination of education and networking with the best and the brightest in the business. Students are challenged to develop research and analysis tactics to help Comcast Colorado.
- Association for Corporate Growth Case Competition: A regional business school case competition. The ACG Cup is a case-study competition designed to give students from leading MBA programs invaluable insights into mergers and acquisitions, investment banking, financial advisory and private equity.
- Aspen Institute’s Business & Society International MBA Case Competition: More than 1,000 students from 25 business schools tackle a new case study, authored by the Yale School of Management. This requires innovative thinking at the intersection of corporate profitability and positive social and environmental impacts. You will step into a real-life, time-sensitive scenario demanding integrative decision making—not unlike the challenges that you and your teammates will face as the next generation of business leadership.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT RESOURCES
At Daniels, we are dedicated to creating an environment of inclusive excellence for all of our students.
- The University’s International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) department works closely with our graduate students to help make the most of their Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT) time.
- The MSAQF is STEM designated, making it possible for your OPT to extend to 3 years.
- We offer flexibility in our Master of Science program that can enable you to maximize your stay in the U.S.
Start With a Graduate Certificate
Do you want to build your skills but aren’t ready to commit to a master’s degree? You can start by taking courses toward a 4- or 6-course certificate in Corporate Finance or Investment Markets. If you decide you want to continue on and earn your master’s, you can apply the credits you’ve already earned. Learn more about graduate certificates.
Companies That Hired Recent MSAQF Graduates
How to Apply for the Master’s in Applied Quantitative Finance
We welcome applicants from all professional backgrounds and academic disciplines. To apply, you must submit:
- Official college transcript(s)
- Professional resume
- $100 application fee
GMAT or GRE scores are optional. If you determine that your application will be stronger with GMAT or GRE scores, please submit them when you apply.
All accepted students are automatically considered for scholarships. No additional application is needed.
Visit our graduate admissions page for more information about application requirements.
FAQs for the MS in Applied Quantitative Finance
What can you do with a quantitative finance degree?
Is the program customizable?
Yes, the Master’s in Finance is highly customizable. We offer four preset tracks that you can choose from. You can also work with your graduate advisor to build your own program with electives and internships in the topics that interest you most.
What companies/networking opportunities are available for building connections in finance?
How will I know if I have to take the prerequisite courses?
You can send your transcript to the Office of Graduate Admissions at email@example.com, and a faculty member will evaluate whether you’re eligible for prerequisite waivers.
How many times per week do we meet in class?
A 4-credit course will require you to be in class for 1 hour and 50 minutes twice a week. Typically, this will be offered on a Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday schedule, with most classes beginning after 4 p.m.
Have other questions? Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-871-3416.