commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
The Daniels College of Business is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion within and beyond our academic environment. The College upholds the strategic imperatives defined by the University of Denver through teaching, research, and commitment to the public good.
Diversity challenges assumptions, offers fresh perspectives and teaches us to transcend differences to find solutions. Supporting a diverse community to achieve inclusive excellence is a priority at the Daniels College of Business. We work to value and strive to engage our students, faculty, staff and alumni constituents to feel a sense of belonging in our community.
Daniels is committed to cultivating a community where members feel safe and valued and can share all of who they are, while exchanging ideas in an environment characterized by openness, honesty, trust and respect.- Daniels Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
Diversity, equity and inclusion are not just buzzwords at Daniels and the University of Denver. We actively encourage the exchange of ideas from diverse, academic, professional, and personal backgrounds and identities from all members. Our community enacts change and connection through a broad range of actions, for example fostering student groups, networking with professionals and alumni, solving case competitions, developing mentorship programs and executing events. Programs include:
- Daniels Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee: A group of faculty, staff and students from DU who evaluate and further the efforts of inclusivity and diversity through awareness and educational programming at Daniels. Email the DEI committee.
- Student groups: Students may participate in many clubs and organizations that center diversity and inclusion within a business framework and beyond. One example is the Daniels DEI Graduate Student Council.
- Professional and community organizations: Faculty, students and staff can extend their network with organizations dedicated to the advancement of diverse business groups.
- Inclusive Excellence Business Case Competition: Students research and propose solutions to participating companies’ real-world problems regarding diversity. Students in all disciplines at the university make up each team, and each team must be comprised of a diverse set of students. This is one of the country’s few business case competitions focused on the topic. Read about our latest competition.
- Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion—Provides University-wide leadership and accountability in developing a diverse, equitable and inclusive academic environment at DU.
- Inclusion and Equity Education (IEE)—Provides students with information, skills, and opportunities for constructive engagement across difference.
- The Cultural Center—Creates an environment where students of color, students of marginalized faiths and LGBTQ+ students can critically engage their historical legacies, while enhancing their educational, intellectual and personal/professional interest as it relates to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, socioeconomic and cultural sensibilities, while providing a a safe space for respite and dialogue as they navigate their journey at DU.
- Community + Values Initiative (C+V)—Focused and empathic work we are doing as a community, to strengthen ourselves from within. The initiative began in spring 2019 as a way to compose a collective narrative that creates a greater sense of shared values and belonging.
- Student affinity groups—Connect with Daniels and University of Denver student organizations that encourage inclusive excellence.
- International programs/opportunities—Study abroad with DU’s top-ranked undergraduate and graduate international academic and internship programs.
- Alumni affinity groups: Stay connected to fellow alumni with similar interests or a unifying purpose.