Biography at a Glance
Dr. Cynthia V. Fukami is a Professor in the Department of Management at the Daniels College of Business, University of Denver. She earned her B.A. in Psychology and her M.A. in Organizational Behavior from the University of Illinois and her Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior from Northwestern University’s Kellogg Graduate School of Management. As a faculty member at the University of Denver, she has taught courses on Strategic Human Resources Management, Power and Influence, Compensation and Reward Systems, and Organizational Behavior in the full-time, Professional and Executive MBA programs.
Dr. Fukami has published over 60 articles on a variety of topics in the Management field, and co-edited The SAGE Handbook of Management Learning, Education and Development. Her consulting clients have included Time Warner Telecom, Enserca Engineering, First Data Corporation, Starz Entertainment, the American Animal Hospital Association, Women in Cable and Telecommunications, the State of Colorado Department of Public Health, and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.
She has received a number of awards for both teaching and research at the University of Denver. From 2000-2002, she was the Evelyn and Jay G. Piccinati Professor for Teaching Excellence in the Daniels College of Business. She was a 1998-99 Pew Scholar in the Carnegie Foundation’s Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, and was appointed as a Fellow of the Carnegie Foundation in 1999. She received the John D. Hershner Award in 2006 in recognition of her dedication to and support of the competitive free enterprise system, the 2007 Scholarship of Teaching award, and the 2012 C. Thomas Howard Endowed Teacher Scholar Award. In 2016, she received the Daniels Award for Excellence.
Dr. Fukami has conducted research and executive training sessions on many management issues including strategic human resource management, power and influence, negotiation, leading change, motivation, employee commitment, turnover, absenteeism, employee discipline, leadership, and total quality management. She is a member of the Academy of Management and the Organizational Behavior Teaching Society, and serves on the editorial board of the journals Academy of Management Learning and Education and the Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies, and as Associate Editor of the Journal of Management Education.
- PhD, Major: Organization Behavior, Minor: Industrial Relations, Northwestern University
- MA, Major: Organizational Behavior, Institute of Labor & Industrial Relations, University of Illinois
- BA, Major: Personnel Psychology, Minor: Sociology and Political Science, University of Illinois
Professional Academic Activities
- Co-edited the Handbook of Managerial Learning, Education and Development, with Steven Armstrong, published by Sage UK, 2009.
- Fellow of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
- Associate Editor, Journal of Management Education
- Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Learning and Education
Courses Taught at Daniels
- Executive Leadership I, II and III
- Performance and Reward Systems
- Power and Influence
Awards and Honors
- Recipient, Daniels Award for Excellence (Faculty), 2016
- Recipient, C. Thomas Howard Endowed Teacher Scholar Award, Daniels College of Business, 2012.
- Recipient, Scholarship of Teaching Award, Daniels College of Business, 2007.
- Best symposium, Management Education and Development Division, Academy of Management, 2007.
- Recipient, John D. Hershner Award in recognition of dedication to and support of the competitive, free enterprise economic system, Daniels College of Business, September, 2006.