Biography at a Glance
Dan Baack is an expert in advertising, brand management and international marketing. His academic research focuses on how differences in how consumers process information affect promotional activities. This includes investigations of creativity and advertising effectiveness, of advertising’s impact on brand image and of culture’s influence on marketing activity. He has co-led a study-abroad course to India and will co-lead a course to Taiwan, Hong Kong and China this coming winter. His wife is Taiwanese and an increasing amount of his travel and his international research is focused on East Asia.
Dr. Baack has been published in 30 peer-review journal publications, including a recent publication in the Journal of International Business Studies. He has been awarded almost 20 research grants, including the prestigious American Academy of Advertising Research Grant — an international grant given to only two research projects every year by the leading academic body for advertising research. Currently, he is finishing the 2nd edition of his textbook, International Marketing, with Sage Publications. Beyond academic success, he is an active consultant and expert witness. He has testified at the state and federal level regarding advertising ethics.
- PhD, Marketing and International Business, Saint Louis University
- BA, Psychology and English, Truman State University
- BS, Psychology, Truman State University
Academic Positions Held
- Associate Professor of Marketing with Tenure, Daniels College of Business
- Co-director, International Business Major, Daniels College of Business
- Interim Chair, Department of Marketing, Daniels College of Business
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Daniels College of Business
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Ball State University
Academic Professional Activities
- Dow, D., Baack, D.W., & Parente, R. (2018). The Role of Psychic Distance in Entry Mode Decisions: Magnifying the Threat of Opportunism or Increasing the Need for Local Knowledge? Global Strategy Journal, Cited: NA
- Baack, D.W., Wilson, R.T., van Dessel, M.M. & Patti, C.H. (2016). Advertising to Business: Does Creativity Matter? Industrial Marketing Management, 55(2106), 169-177, Cited 15
- Baack, D.W., Dow, D., Parente, R. C., and Bacon, D.R. (2015). Confirmation Bias in Individual-level Perceptions of Psychic Distance: An Experimental Investigation, Journal of International Business Studies, 46(8), 938-959, Cited: 17