Chris Hughen, PhD
Biography at a Glance
Chris Hughen, CFA, is an associate professor of finance at the University of Denver. He regularly teaches graduate courses in security analysis and international finance. Hughen holds a PhD in finance from the University of Missouri, and his specialties include investment performance measurement and GIPS®. Since 2001, Hughen has published 13 peer-reviewed research articles in leading finance journals such as the Journal of Financial Research and Financial Management. His research has won awards from the CFP Board of Examiners, Academy of Financial Services and the Daniels College of Business. His current research interests include international finance and investment performance analytics. Hughen is actively involved in the CFA Institute and previously served as president of the CFA Society of Toledo.
- PhD, Finance, University of Missouri
- MA, Finance and Banking, University of Alabama
- BS, Finance, Birmingham, Southern College
Awards and Honors
- Awarded the Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement (CIPM) designation in 2009 by the CIPM Association
- Scholarship of Discovery Award, 2008, Daniels College of Business
- Academic Journal Article Award, 2003, CFP Board of Examiners
- CFP Board of Standards Paper Award, 2002, Academy of Financial Services Meetings
- Awarded the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation in 2001 by the CFA Institute
Academic Professional Activities
- Faculty mentor to the Daniels team competing in the annual Global Investment Research Challenge, which is the most prestigious collegiate competition in finance
- Co-teach Marsico Investment Fund class, which manages an equity portfolio that is part of DU’s endowment
Select Academic Publications
Hughen, J. Christopher and Prem G. Mathew, 2009, “The Efficiency of International Information Flow: Evidence from the ETF and CEF Prices,” International Review of Financial Analysis, 18, 40–49.
Graham, J. Edward and J. Christopher Hughen, 2007, “Ownership Structure, Expectations, and Short Sales on the Nasdaq,” The Journal of Economics and Finance, 31, 33–48.
Hughen, J. Christopher and Cynthia G. McDonald, 2006, “Does Order Flow Commonality Extend Across Trade Sizes and Securities’ Financial Management?” 35, 107–128.