Biography at a Glance
Dr. Young Jin Lee is an associate professor in the department of Business Information & Analytics at the Daniels College of Business. His research interests span economic and marketing aspects of online social media, mobile IT markets, piracy and digital rights management, and adoption and diffusion of IT innovations. His work has appeared in prestigious academic journals and conference proceedings including Management Science, Journal of Management Information Systems, International Conference of Information Systems, Workshop on Information Systems and Economics, and Conference on Information Systems and Technology. Lee gained professional experience as an information strategist for Samsung Group. He is the recipient of numerous honors, awards and grants, and currently serves as an associate editor on the editorial board of Communications of the Association for Information Systems.
- PhD, Information Systems, University of Washington
- MS, Information Systems Management, Carnegie Mellon University
- BSBA, Information Systems, Ohio State University
- BA, Business Administration, Chung-Ang University
Academic Positions Held
- Assistant Professor of Management Information Systems, 2010 – 2013
- Austin E. Cofrin School of Business, University of Wisconsin – Green Bay
- Graduate Student Researcher, 2005 – 2010
- Michael G. Foster School of Business, University of Washington
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
- Lee, Y.J., K. Keeling, and A. Urbaczewski. 2017. The Economic Value of Online User Reviews with Ad Spending on Movie Box-Office Sales. Information Systems Frontiers, forthcoming.
- Thornhill, M., K. Xie, and Y.J. Lee. 2017. Social media advertising in a competitive market: Effects of earned and owned exposures on brand purchase. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology, 8 (1) doi: 10.1108/JHTT-10-2016-0068.
- Xie, K. and Y.J. Lee. 2015. Social Media and Brand Purchase: Quantifying the Effects of Earned and Owned Social Media in a Two-Stage Decision Making Model. Journal of Management Information Systems, 32 (2) pp. 204-238. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2015.1063297.
- Lee, Y.J., Hosanagar, K., and Tan, Y. 2015. Do I Follow My Friends or the Crowd? Information Cascades in Online Movie Ratings. Management Science, 61 (9) pp. 2241-2258. http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2014.2082. Management Science Best Paper Award in Information Systems Finalist 2016.
- Lee, Y.J., and Tan, Y. 2013. Effects of Different Types of Free Trials and Ratings in Sampling of Consumer Software: An Empirical Study. Journal of Management Information Systems, 30 (3) pp. 213–246. http://dx.doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222300308.
- Geng, X., and Lee, Y.J. 2013. Competing with Piracy: A Multichannel Sequential Search Approach. Journal of Management Information Systems, 30 (2), pp. 159–184. http://dx.doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222300206.
Awards and Honors
- Scholarship of Discipline Award, Daniels College of Business, University of Denver, 2017
- The 2017 Management Science Best Paper Award in Information Systems, Information Systems Society, INFORMS, 2017
- PROF Award, University of Denver, 2016
- Evert McCabe Endowed Fellowship, University of Washington, 2009 – 2010
- Graduate School Top Scholar, University of Washington, 2005 – 2006
- W.W. Cooper Scholarship, Carnegie Mellon University, 2002 and 2003
- Everett & Rowena Travis Scholarship, Ohio State University, 2001
- Movie Reviews on Social Networks (Faculty & Research @Foster School of Business)
- New Research Gives Insight to Businesses on how to Respond to Online Reviews, Daniels College of Business Press Releases
- Hold Your Fire: When to Respond to Online Reviews, Business News Daily