Master of Science in Applied Quantitative Finance
Learn why finance recruiters hire Daniels graduates.
Gain in-depth knowledge of finance and the experience employers want.
The Master of Science in Applied Quantitative Finance from the Reiman School combines the in-depth study of finance theories and principles with advanced technologies, communication and teamwork with a strong focus on ethics and values. You will develop financial models with integrated classroom experience and apply your newly learned skills immediately. We will challenge you to think, not memorize. We believe in learning by doing, practicing and perfecting.
The Daniels Master of Science in Applied Quantitative Finance is a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) degree according to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The DHS expanded list includes designated degrees that qualify for up to 17 months Optional Practical Training (OPT) Extension for F-1 Nonimmigrant Students.
In 2014, the Daniels Master of Science in Applied Quantitative Finance program was accepted into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program. This status is granted to institutions whose degree program incorporates at least 70 percent of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK), which provides students with a solid grounding in the CBOK and positions them well to sit for the CFA exams.
Program At A Glance
There’s still time to apply for Spring 2017. Complete your application by March 15. Merit scholarships are available for those that qualify.
|Program Curriculum||A STEM-designated,15–24-month, full or part-time, 45–57-credit program with three components: *Finance prerequisites (12 credits), Finance Core (25 credits) and Electives (20 credits). |
*Students who pass waiver exams may opt out of some or all of the Finance prerequisite courses.
|GMAT/GRE||GMAT or GRE Required|
|Program Start Dates||September and March.|
|Tuition||$1,258 per credit hour plus program fees.Tuition Calculator»|
|Financial Aid||Government student loans, private loans and GI benefits available. Some merit- and need-based scholarships awarded by Daniels College of Business.|
|Application Deadlines||Four rounds of admission deadlines for fall entry and three rounds for spring entry.|
|Recommended Work Experience||Varies.|
As an MS Applied Quantitative Finance student you will:
- Study a curriculum considered the gold standard in the global finance industry, as recognized by the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute.
- Master the analytical tools, theories and principles that today’s employers demand.
- Gain hands-on equity asset management skills by managing a portion of the University’s endowment fund, valued at one million dollars, in our Marsico Fund course.
- Use options to create hedging and return enhancement strategies in our Derivative Funds class.
- Develop financial models for the investment banking industry using the most sophisticated information, analysis, databases and simulation software available.
- Build your resume with a complimentary subscription to S&P Capital IQ.
- Specialize in corporate finance, investment banking, asset management or design your own Finance concentration to meet your specific career goals.
Courses & Electives
The MS Applied Quantitative Finance program is a STEM-designated 45–57-credit degree than can be completed in as little as 15 months by full-time students subject to prerequisites and course load. You also have the option of earning your degree part time, day or evening.
The degree plan includes courses in finance, business fundamentals and ethics, and 18 credits dedicated to your selected specialization or customized concentration.
Concentrations & Dual Degrees
Every finance degree path builds on the Daniels rigorous foundation of technical skills and values-based leadership grounded in effective communication, teamwork and ethics. Students pursuing an MS Applied Quantitative Finance can choose one of two specializations or customize the degree to match their unique needs. Graduate students also have the opportunity to earn two master-level degrees simultaneously or to pursue an MBA with a finance concentration.
For more information about these options, please contact a graduate admissions manager.
The MS Applied Quantitative Finance program challenges you to think bigger. We strive to provide a top-tier, comprehensive classroom education that is matched only by the opportunities for hands-on learning. This balance is what we believe helps our graduates gain an edge on the competition and the ability to truly thrive in their careers.
Learning at Daniels gets you out of the classroom and into the field interacting with business leaders, solving real business problems and using your business skills when the stakes are real. You’ll emerge from Daniels business sharp, field tested and ready to lead—adaptable to new situations and well-versed in both big-picture strategic thinking and cross-functional intricacies.
Gain Real-world Experience
At Daniels, our deep connections around the world create ample opportunities for you to meet and learn from the top professionals in your industry of interest.
- Global Opportunities (GO) Program: Students travel abroad to tackle a real-world project for a partner organization. Many projects focus on sustainable development issues; how to balance profit and growth with social, cultural and environmental implications. Fulfills the Enterprise Solutions requirement.
- Voices of Experience: Dynamic discussions with business leaders on the challenges and opportunities in today’s business world.
- Executive and Alumni Mentoring: Gain insight from an executive and/or alumni mentor in your field of interest.
- Finance Capitals of the World: Students gain firsthand exposure to derivatives, investment banking and asset management in the classroom and during a visit to the New York Stock Exchange.
- Extra-curricular Opportunities: Challenge yourself in the Global CFA Institute Challenge, considered the “Investment Olympics” for university students worldwide, or join the Investment Banking and Capital Markets Club, Training the Street Courses, the Stock Market Simulation Competition or the Mergers and Acquisitions Competition.
Compete Against the Best
Case competitions provide you with a chance to showcase your critical-thinking, problem-solving and presentation skills—experiencing firsthand the challenges of the business world.
- Race & Case: Daniels’ signature event that combines an ethics case competition with a ski race.
- Inclusive Excellence Business Case Competition: Daniels is proud to host one of the country’s few business case competitions focused on diversity. Students tackle a current issue around inclusive excellence, which is a strategic imperative for a participating company.
- Cable Apprentice Challenge: This unique combination of education and networking with the best and the brightest in the business is a challenge to develop research and analysis tactics to help Comcast Colorado.
- Association for Corporate Growth Case Competition: A regional business school case competition. The ACG Cup is a case-study competition designed to give students from leading MBA programs invaluable insights into mergers and acquisitions, investment banking, financial advisory and private equity.
- Aspen Institute’s Business & Society International MBA Case Competition: More than 1,000 students from 25 business schools tackle a new case study, authored by the Yale School of Management, requiring innovative thinking at the intersection of corporate profitability and positive social and environmental impacts. You will step into a real-life, time-sensitive scenario demanding integrative decision making—not unlike the challenges that you and your teammates will face as the next generation of business leadership.
At Daniels, our faculty members are passionate about teaching. As scholars who are deeply engaged in the business world, they excel at bridging the gap between theory and real-world application. The result is an academically rigorous and highly relevant learning experience that prepares you for business realities.
Daniels faculty delivers a high level of instruction with a personal touch. Here, you'll find teachers who know your name and care about your goals. They'll become inspiring mentors who challenge your assumptions, encourage your best effort and connect you with business leaders in Denver and beyond.