Ethically Speaking Podcast
Ethically Speaking is a podcast of the Institute for Enterprise Ethics dedicated to answering ethical questions arising from an unpredictable, complex, paradoxical and interconnected world.
Its initial series of episodes, Interrogating Artificial Intelligence, engages industry leaders and academic scholars with ethical questions posed by the evolution of AI and machine learning. Ethically Speaking offers professionals, researchers and students the chance to learn about AI applications and implications from a variety of experts.
Podcast moderator Dylan Doyle-Burke is a PhD student in Human-Computer Interaction at the University of Denver. His research focus is on creating a theory of mind for artificial intelligence and artificial intelligence ethics. Dylan is the CEO of Radical AI LLC (radicalai.org). He holds a Bachelor of Arts from Sarah Lawrence College and a Master of Divinity from Union Theological Seminary at Columbia University.
Episode 6: AI and the Future of the Fast Food Industry
Guest: Rob Carpenter
- To be able to list three ways Artificial Intelligence (AI) is impacting the service industry
- To be able to list three examples of how AI is being implemented in food service, retail, etc., in new or unexpected ways
- To be able to name one specific way AI in the service industry is altering employment (particularly in the context of the pandemic)
Episode 5: Chat Bots, Research Data, and Recommendation Systems: Unpacking Natural Language Processing Ethics
Guest: Peter Organisciak, PhD
- To be able to list 3-5 ethical dilemmas present in NLP design and application
- To be able to list three examples of NLP application already embedded in our daily life
- To be able to name one specific way consumers of AI tech can protect themselves related to NLP concerns
Episode 4: God and What It Means to Be Human
Guest: Ted Vial, PhD
- To be able to list three ways AI technology has impacted thinking around God and the philosophy of what it means to be human.
- To be able to name at least one-way Dr. Vial has navigated teaching about technology in a seminary (i.e. in a radically interdisciplinary space)
- To be able to list the advantages and disadvantages of creating an AI tutor to teach online in a seminary context
Episode 3: Machine Vision and AI Impacts of Patient Care
Guest: Mohammad Mahoor, PhD
- To be able to list three specific ways in which machine vision robotics can help patients with dementia
- To be able to define “machine vision”
- To be able to name three ethical dimensions to machine vision research [based off of Dr. Mahoor’s research]
Episode 2: AI Impacts of Ethical Data Collection and Protection
Guest: Micah Sexton, PhD
- To be able to list 3–5 ethical dilemmas present in data collection, particularly in machine learning systems
- To be able to change behavior as a consumer to better protect your data
- For students and researchers to be able to practice three new methods of ethical data collection
Episode 1: How AI Will Impact Our Hiring Process
Guest: Cindi Fukami, PhD
- To list the advantages and disadvantages of how AI will affect the hiring process over the next 10 years.
- To be able to better navigate the hiring process in contemporary industry, including editing resumes and cover letters that will be first screened by machine learning.
- To be able to clearly define “the future of work” and be able to list the categories of changes that fall under it.