As a current student at Daniels, you are well aware of the perks of going to school in Denver– ski trips with friends, 300 days of sunshine a year, Red Rocks, breweries, the Broncos. However, what if graduation is looming and you don’t yet have a job-lined up here?
As graduation approaches, it might be beneficial to look into options outside of Colorado. There are plenty of resources available at the Suitts Graduate and Alumni Career Center to help find the right city for you. Here is some information on a few of cities for finding a job:
- Chicago: The Windy City boasts 29 Fortune 500 companies around the metro area, including Boeing, Walgreens, McDonald’s and Discover Financial Services.
- New York City: NYC is home to over 50 Fortune 500 companies, including JPMorgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, Estee Lauder, Pfizer and PepsiCo.
- Portland: Much like Denver, Portland is closely located to a number of ski resorts, in addition to housing Fortune 500 companies Nike and Precision Castparts.
- Boston: Boston is home to Fortune 500 companies Liberty Mutual Insurance Group and Boston Scientific Group.
- San Francisco: With over 20 Fortune 500 companies in Silicon Valley, San Francisco is home to Facebook, Google, Apple, Oracle, Safeway and Hewlett Packard, among others.
- Seattle: With a similar lifestyle to Denver, Seattle is home to big-name Fortune 500 companies like Amazon, Starbucks and Nordstrom.
Being open to opportunities in other cities can be rewarding! For more information or tips on how to find a job outside of Denver, please schedule an appointment with your career coach. Our City Treks Program will also be traveling to New York City and San Francisco during Winter Break 2014, in addition to Seattle and Los Angeles during the Spring Break 2015.
Patricia Hickman is an Associate Director/Interim Head of the Suitts Graduate & Alumni Career Center. Patty coaches students and alumni on job-search techniques and strategies, works with companies to promote hiring of students, implements student programs, creates and manages projects and events, designs and provides career-management workshops.