Biography at a Glance
Kim Schneider Malek has been focused on advancing family enterprise since 1997. Following a 12-year stint in distance learning and technology-based education, Kim began her journey in family enterprise as a second-generation consultant at Schneider Consulting Group, Inc., a firm founded in 1987 by her father, Frank S. Schneider (a DU alumnus, BS 1955, MBA 1960).
Kim joined the faculty of the Daniels College of Business in 2001, teaching graduate and undergraduate courses including Managing the Family Business, Sustaining Family Enterprise (family business, family office and family systems), High Performance Management, and Leadership and Business Communication.
A co-founding editor of the Family Firm Institute’s (FFI) Practitioner, Kim is recognized as an FFI Fellow for her commitment to the emerging and evolving field. She is also a member of the Research Applied Board of the management journal the Family Business Review, where she translates research into application. For over a decade, Kim served on both the FFI Body of Knowledge governing committee and the faculty of FFI’s Global Education Network, an interdisciplinary certificate program for new and advanced practitioners worldwide.
Kim’s professional affiliations include being a current and previously active member in several collaborative learning exchange forums including the Family Enterprise Advanced Practitioners Study Group, Psychosocial Dynamics of Family and Business, and Collaboration for Family Flourishing. She is a member of International Family Enterprise Research Academy (IFERA), Strategic Management Society (SMS), Summit of Minds, and International Council for Small Business, where she participated in the 1st Virtual International Family Business Research and Practice conference.
- MBA, University of Denver Daniels College of Business, 1990
- BS, Boston University College of Communication, 1985
- Certificates: Family Business Advising and Family Wealth Advising, Family Firm Institute
- Graduate studies (without supervision) in marriage and family therapy, Denver Family Institute (formerly Family Therapy Training Center of Colorado)
Academic Positions Held
Adjunct Professor, University of Denver Daniels College of Business, 2001–2021
Awards and Honors
Barbara Hollander Award (2014, Family Firm Institute) for global leadership and educational contribution to the interdisciplinary field of family enterprise
- Family time (with family-business-owning husband, twin boys, teen daughter and two giddy Golden Retriever heartthrobs)
- Global adventure travel
- Entertaining, especially messy last-minute gatherings with friends, family and occasional newcomers
- Hosting international exchange students, an Ethiopian medical-needs visa patient, and youth ambassadors from various countries
- Skiing, hiking and exploring the mountains of Colorado
- Observing family dynamics in public