Biography at a Glance
Jennifer Halstead has over 30 years of experience in various facets of general contracting and construction management, with the majority of her experience in operations. She has held all operations positions from field engineer to president in commercial and federal market sectors in the U.S. and overseas. She has worked for small and large firms, as well as owned her own businesses. Her passion is in design-build and other integrative and collaborative delivery methods, utilizing innovation in process and technology to enhance project outcomes.
Jennifer’s experience also includes self-performing of cast-in-place and custom precast concrete, specifically to bring projects to completion sooner, safer, and with a high level of quality. Her many years of work in the field on project jobsites has given her a strong technical background combined with the communication skills to get the most out of her teams.
Jennifer’s project portfolio includes numerous large projects, and she particularly enjoys leading large project teams by setting vision and strategy coupled with excellent execution. Her experience and passion are working with all stakeholders including owners, design firms, subcontractor, and specialty consultants on projects such as:
• University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital
• Staples Center Arena
• A large California campus for a world-class energy client
• Luma High-Rise Condominiums in downtown Los Angeles
• Blackhawk Casino by Hyatt in Colorado
• Biomedical Buildings at UC San Francisco and UC Davis
• Getty Museum Tramway
• MGM Grand Hotel and Parking Structure
• Las Vegas Motor Speedway
• Stratosphere Tower
• Projects at Universal Studios in CA and FL
• Parking Structures at Dreamworks Animation Campus and USC+LAC Medical Center in Los Angeles, Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas
• Numerous facilities on CONUS and OCONUS federal military bases
She is excited to share these experiences with the students at DU. Jennifer is known for getting the most from each of her team members while furthering their development, and is looking forward to being a part of preparing the next generation of real estate and construction professionals.
- MS, Civil Engineering, Emphasis in Construction Engineering and Management, University of Southern California
- BS, General Engineering; Secondary Field in Business Administration, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Academic Positions Held
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Southern California Civil Engineering, Los Angeles
- Teaching Assistant, University of Southern California Civil Engineering, Los Angeles
Awards and Honors
- YWCA Los Angeles Phenomenal Woman Award 2009
- Keynote speaker at Colorado School of Mines 2004 Evening with Industry
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant award at USC
- Besides construction, Jennifer’s other passion is volunteering for a national assistance dog organization. You can usually find her with her service puppy in training. She and her husband are currently Volunteer Puppy Raisers raising their 13th puppy.
- Jennifer has been an active member of the Society of Women Engineers, Rocky Mountain Section since 2000, where she has held most section officer positions. She continued her service to SWE as the Region i Mini-Grants Chairperson in 2017–2018.