Biography at a Glance
Carol J Johnson is Assistant Dean, MBA@Denver, at the Daniels College of Business. Prior to becoming Assistant Dean, Dr. Carol J. Johnson served for a decade as Chair of the Department of Marketing, a co-founder of the Intermodal Transportation Institute at the University of Denver, and more recently as Faculty Director of Executive and Professional MBA programs at the Daniels College of Business.
In these roles, she was responsible for leading the redesign of both the Master of Science in Marketing and the Professional MBA program and for the design of the Master of Science in Intermodal Transportation. Over the course of her career, she has taught well over 150 courses and independent studies, primarily in general business, marketing, and supply chain management. Many of her courses have incorporated a major project focused on helping small businesses in Denver. In recognition of her efforts she has received several teaching awards at the University of Denver and the University of Maryland.
She received the BS, MBA, and PhD from the University of Maryland at College Park. She also holds advanced certification from the Online Learning Consortium (formerly Sloan-C) and she mentors online higher-education instructors across North America. As a Fulbright Scholar, she served as a Visiting Fulbright Lecturer in Riga and Valmiera, Latvia.
Her most recent research interest is investigating how adult students learn in an online environment. Her research interests also include customer experience management and online/face-to-face learning and assessment. Her work has been published in Marketing Education Review, Journal of Business Logistics, Transportation Journal, Journal of Marketing Channels, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Journal of Marketing Education and International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management.
Prior to entering academia, she was the owner of a highly successful chain of retail card and gift shops—a venture that provided practical experience with customer service and developing vendor partnerships.
- PhD, Logistics and Transportation Management, University of Maryland at College Park
- MBA, Logistics and Transportation Management, University of Maryland at College Park
- BS, Marketing, University of Maryland at College Park
- Graduate of Academic Management Institute (AMI)
- Graduate of Higher Education Resource Services (HERS)
- Online Learning Consortium Advanced Certificate in Online Certification, Master of Blended Learning
- Beta Gamma Sigma Collegiate Chapter Officer Training, Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honorary
Academic Positions Held
- Assistant Dean, MBA@Denver Online Program, April 2017-Present
- Associate Professor of Marketing, September 2001-Present
- Faculty Director, Executive and Professional MBA Programs, July 2016 – August 2017
- Department Chair, Marketing, July 2007-August 2017
- Director, MS Marketing, July 2007-June 2016
Awards and Honors
- Nominated for Daniels College of Business Award for Excellence, Faculty, May 2012
- University of Denver Student Life Faculty Advisor of the Year, May 2011
- Daniels College of Business Award for Excellence, Faculty, May 2007
- Educator of the Year, Operation Stimulus 2006
- Fulbright Lecturing Award to Latvia (Riga Business School and Vidzeme University College), 2001-2002
- Nominated for Pinccinati Endowed Professorship, 2002
- Daniels College of Business Scholarship of Teaching Award, 1999
- Family get-togethers