Biography at a Glance
Buie Seawell is a clinical professor in the Department of Business Ethics and Legal Studies, was department chair and the Louis B. Beaumont Professor of Business Education. He was honored in 2003 with the University’s Distinguished Teacher of the Year Award. Prior to coming to Daniels, Seawell was founder and director of the Norwest Public Policy Center, developing, conducting and authoring The Mind of Colorado, an annual survey of public trust in professional and governmental institutions. He also taught in the Graduate School of Public Policy.
He also served as Colorado Democratic state chairman and as chief of staff to Senator Gary Hart. He directed the legislative program of the Governor of Colorado during the 1981-1982 General Assembly, whose programs included a wide variety of urban, social welfare, educational, and natural resource initiatives. In Colorado Governor Richard Lamm’s administration, he was the Colorado energy conservation director, a cabinet-level position, and had overall responsibility for state energy policy, solar, wind, conservation and demand assessment. He also has considerable experience in public television and producing national conference and seminars on environmental and political issues and is an ordained Presbyterian minister.
When working with the media, Seawell can address issues from both an academic and practical perspective, drawing on extensive corporate and political experience to provide real-world examples of the topics he discusses.
- JD, University of Denver
- Post Graduate Studies, New College, University of Edinburgh
- MS, Theology, Union Seminary
- BA, History, Davidson College
Academic Positions Held
- Clinical Professor, Law and Ethics, Daniels Business College, University of Denver
- Chair, Department of Business Ethics and Legal Studies
- Co-Director, The NORWEST Public Policy Research Program, Graduate School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado at Denver
- Director, International Center for Administration and Policy, Graduate School of Public Affairs, University of Colorado at Denver
Awards & Honors
- Member of American Board of Medical Specialties Ethics Committee (EPCOM)