Energy Land Management (ELM) Certificate Program
The ELM program is designed for landmen, lease and title analysts, attorneys, land owners and others in the industry or those interested in entering the industry seeking formal energy land management training. Classes are taught in an intensive one- or two-day format without the mandatory entry requirements, testing or cost of a traditional academic program.
The complete 2019 Winter/Spring Schedule may be viewed HERE
- Energy Land Management: Jan. 26 – March 10 | Course Descriptions available, Register HERE
- Energy Finance & Management: March 16 – March 31 | Course Descriptions available, Register HERE
- Leases, Titles & Contracts: April 6 – April 20 | Course Descriptions available, Register HERE
- The Business of Oil & Gas: April 27 – May 5 | Course Descriptions available, Register HERE
- Advanced Energy Land Management: May 11 – June 16 | Course Descriptions available, Register HERE
The Burns School offers certificates in its Energy Land Management Certificate Program (ELM). You may take one or two classes or work to earn any or all certificates by taking all classes under the preferred certificate(s). For information on the entire Energy Land Management program or to view additional information on certificate series and their course descriptions, click HERE.
“After completing three certificates in DU’s ELM program I began working at a land brokerage which led to a career move and promotion every year since. The classes I took gave me such a solid foundation and knowledge of the land practices fundamental to oil and gas—I still refer to them in my every day work. I will be eternally grateful to DU and to Patrick Fitzgerald for sending me on a life-changing career path!”
– Alex W. | ELM Participant, Dallas, TX
ELM Special Features & Benefits
- Convenient and flexible—The ELM program is designed for busy professionals. Classes are just one or two days, typically on Fridays and/or the weekend. You can take classes in any order (except individuals new to the industry) and you have eighteen months to complete all the classes required to earn an ELM certificate.
- Immediate ROI—From day one, you’ll learn skills and best practices to apply on the job to improve your effectiveness. ELM courses are constantly updated to reflect the current trends and challenges of the industry.
- Dynamic instruction and networking— The ELM program attracts a wide range of industry professionals leading to the exchange of ideas, best practices and contacts. Courses are taught by Patrick Fitzgerald, PhD, EdD and JD, a leading expert in the field who practices and teaches land management nationwide.
My experience in the Energy Land Management and Advanced Energy Land Management courses were career changing. After completing the courses, I quit my job and transitioned to a news position where i have already been promoted to JIB and Revenue Manager. The knowledge I gained in this certificate program is something I apply in my job every day.
-Cammie D. | ELM Participant, Littleton, CO
Get in touch
ELM: PROGRAM AT A GLANCE
Individuals currently working in energy and/or land management and those looking to enter the industry. You do not need to take the GMAT or apply to Daniels College of Business to take ELM classes. Many employers offer tuition assistance to complete the program.
There is one two-day class, the Energy Land Management class, the rest are one-day classes held on Saturday and/or Sunday. The classes start at 8:30 a.m. and go to 4:30 p.m., mountain time, with a one-hour break for lunch and breaks throughout the day.
Classes are lecture style with case studies examined and discussed during the class. There are no tests, papers or grades as this is a non-academic program, but be prepared to learn a wealth of information. Classes are offered online, in a live webinar format. The link to the class, class materials and all instructions are sent 48 hours before the class.
One-day classes are $375, the two-day ELM class is $750 and Stand Alone Classes are $395. These fees include the electronic version of the class materials and access to the live webinar. You get to keep the materials for future reference but these materials may not be shared with anyone who has not paid for the class. You may print them if you wish but it is not required.
Select the registration link next to the series you want. You will receive a confirmation email immediately which is also your receipt for the registration fee. 48 hours prior to the class you will receive an email with instructions, class materials and the link for the class or classes. Registration will close three business days prior to the class start date. The email includes trouble shooting instructions should you have any issues
Earn Continuing Education Credits from:
NADOA (National Association of Division Order Analysts)
NALTA (National Association of Lease Title Analysts)
NARO (National Association of Royalty Owners)
My participation in the program was a great experience! I came into my new job knowing far more than all the recent law-school grad—for paying half the price for this certificate.
– Whitney W. | ELM Participant, Boulder, CO
Valued Industry Partners