So, you’ve heard about the Corporate Partners Career Expo and are planning to attend…because you know it’s good for your future. Here are some tips to help you make a great first impression with the many Corporate Partners that will be in attendance. Just as a reminder, the event will be held on Thursday, January 19 from 4 – 7 p.m. in Marcus Commons.
Before the Career Expo:
- First, register for the event in Pioneer Careers.
- Research companies to find the best match to your skills and interests. Review the company’s mission, values, and other areas of interest. Consider multiple companies and explore unfamiliar companies.
- Update your online profile to project a professional image. Check out these tips on writing your LinkedIn Summary.
- Update your resume. Have multiple people review your resume to make it the best it can be, and remember to print plenty of copies to provide to employers at the Expo.
- Create and practice a 15-30 second elevator speech.
- Wear professional attire.
- A business suit with appropriate shoes is best.
- Bring a portfolio to hold resumes & papers for notes.
- There will be a drop-off area for coats and bags in the Graduate Suite, Room 156. Please take advantage of this convenience!
During the Career Expo:
- Start with a firm handshake and your elevator speech.
- Communicate gracefully and with confidence.
- Do not ask a recruiter what the company does or if they sponsor.
- If the representative is not in your area of interest or location, ask them to forward your resume and get contact names.
- Don’t be discouraged if they direct you to the website—follow the procedures they provide to you.
- If time allows, visit with employers you have not targeted.
- Ask for a business card and thank recruiters for attending.
After the Career Expo:
- Take notes about each company while it is fresh in your memory.
- Send a thank you note within 1-2 days. Express your appreciation for their time and advice offered. Name a few specifics from the conversation to spark their memory of you.
- Connect with those you met on LinkedIn.
Check out the 2017 Corporate Partners Career Expo attendees:
- Anton, Collins, Mitchell
- Arrow Electronics
- Ball Corp
- Centennial State Finance
- Charles Schwab
- Devil’s Thumb Ranch
- Enterprise Holdings
- FirstBank Holdings
- Global Livingston Institute
- IHS Markit
- Northwestern Mutual
- Sage Hospitality
- Two Roads (Destination Hotels)
- Zayo Group
What questions do you have about the event?