Have you ever fallen into the one-sided interview trap and just answered questions rather than ask your own? This is a common mistake that can make or break an interview. Whether you are applying for an internship or a full-time position, it’s important to ask good questions for a couple of reasons. First, you want to make sure the organization is the right fit for YOU. There is nothing worse than getting into a job that isn’t what you expected (in a bad way). Secondly, this is a great opportunity to show your interest in the company and prove your qualifications.
Here are some of my favorites interview questions. Don’t feel like you have to ask all of them! In fact, that would be quite cumbersome. But, it is helpful to have a few in your back pocket so that you don’t have to worry about coming up with questions on the spot. Interviews can be nerve wrecking so it’s better to be prepared so you feel more at ease.
Questions to Ask
- I looked up your company values and mission, but wanted to learn more about the company goals. What are you looking to accomplish this year?
- What is the biggest challenge you face and how can I help?
- What do you enjoy most about working here?
- How do you measure success and how would I be evaluated?
- Can you tell me about the team I’d be working with?
- Do you have any reservations about my qualifications?
- Do you offer opportunities for learning and growth?
- What is the next step in this process?
Best of luck with your next interview! If you have questions that you would like to share, please post them in the comments section.
Amy Geisert is an MBA candidate and Graduate Assistant at the Suitts Graduate & Alumni Career Center.
Leave a Reply