Biography at a Glance
Dan Baack is an expert in advertising, brand management and international marketing. He is a principal in the Brand Cartography Group, a strategic brand advisory firm. His academic research focuses on how differences in how consumers process information affect promotional activities. This includes investigations of creativity and advertising effectiveness, of advertising’s impact on brand image and of culture’s influence on marketing activity. Much of this is international in scope, and he has investigated promotional tactics in China, India, Russia, Brazil, Taiwan, Australia, Turkey, the Ukraine, France and Germany. He has co-led a study-abroad course to India and will co-lead a course to Taiwan, Hong Kong and China this coming winter. His wife is Taiwanese and an increasing amount of his travel and his international research is focused on East Asia.
Dr. Baack has been published in 25 peer-review journal publications, including a recent publication in the Journal of International Business Studies. He has been awarded almost 20 research grants, including the prestigious American Academy of Advertising Research Grant — an international grant given to only two research projects every year by the leading academic body for advertising research. Beyond academic success, is an active consultant and expert witness. He has testified at the state and federal level regarding advertising ethics.
- PhD, Marketing and International Business, Saint Louis University
- BA, Psychology and English, Truman State University
- BS, Psychology, Truman State University
Academic Positions Held
- Associate Professor of Marketing with Tenure, Daniels College of Business
- Co-director, International Business Major, Daniels College of Business
- Interim Chair, Department of Marketing, Daniels College of Business
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Daniels College of Business
- Assistant Professor of Marketing, Ball State University
Academic Professional Activities
- Till, Brian D. & Baack, D.W. (Forthcoming) Strategic Brand Association Maps: Methodology for Brand Insight. Journal of Product and Brand Management.
- Baack, D.W., Wilson, R.T. & Till, B.D. (2008) Creativity and Memory Effects. Journal of Advertising, 37(4), 85–94.
- Singh, N., Pereira, A.J.A., Baack, D.W., & Baack, D.E. (2008). Culturally Customizing Websites for U.S. Hispanic Consumers, Journal of Advertising Research 48(2), 224–234.